Submental fat, or “double chin,” can be a stubborn area for both men and women to target at any age. Deoxycholic acid injections successfully reduce submental fat in approximately 2-6 treatments, six weeks apart.
How does it work?
Deoxycholic acid causes the membrane of the fat cells to be broken down and reabsorbed by the body.
How long does the treatment take?
The treatment takes anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes after your initial consultation.
How long will my results last?
Deoxycholic acid treatments destroy the fat cells, which is a permanent result.
The downtime varies; however, swelling, bruising, numbness and tenderness can last for a few weeks depending on the individual. Turtlenecks and scarves may be worn to cover the swelling until it subsides.
Before your appointment
- Please do not consume alcoholic beverages at least 48-72 hours before treatment to decrease the risk of bruising.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory medications (Advil, Aspirin, Ibuprofen etc.) and blood-thinning medications (if advised by prescribing physician), if possible, for two weeks before treatment. Supplements such as Vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba, ginseng, St. John’s Wort, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements should be avoided for two weeks to lessen the chances of bruising.
- Please try to schedule your injectable appointments at least 2-3 weeks before any significant event to allow any bruising and swelling to settle.
- It is recommended to eat a light meal and be hydrated before your appointment to avoid feeling lightheaded during your treatment.
- You are not a candidate if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Products such as Arnica can be taken before your appointment to help reduce swelling/bruising post-treatment.
Post Treatment Care
- Avoid massaging the treated area unless instructed by the provider.
- Avoid strenuous activity for 24 hours following your treatment.
- Avoid consuming alcohol in excessive amounts as this can increase bruising.
- If you have swelling, you may apply a cool compress.
- Use Tylenol for discomfort. AVOID Advil, aspirin, and ibuprofen.
- Try to sleep slightly elevated and on your back to decrease swelling.
- Makeup application is not recommended for 8-12 hours.